Need a refresher on the race for the newest City Council seat? Andrew Donohue partners with NBC 7 San Diego on a video explaining the issues and candidates in City Council District 9, which includes City Heights. Watch it below to catch up before the election on June 5:
You’re reading our roundup of news from Speak City Heights, a collaboration between KPBS, The AjA Project, Media Arts Center San Diego and us.
Here are the rest of this week’s stories:
• KPBS has a quick overview of the governor’s proposed budget cuts to safety net programs.
• Check out a map of where bullying happens at Monroe Clark Middle School (students compiled the incidents). The exercise is part of a program run by The AjA Project to encourage kids to look at issues in their community. Students also photographed the locations where bullying occurred and created videos featuring the photos with descriptions.
• Media Arts Center talks with organizers and attendees of a recent job fair in City Heights. The event aimed to provide outlets for young people to stay occupied.
• Media Arts Center also has video of a local Trayvon Martin vigil on March 26. Young people in the video discussed how they want to feel safe and the importance of speaking up.
• This week’s Twitter news roundup includes links on a skatepark for City Heights, a soda tax and filibusters in Congress.
Want more news on City Heights? Sign up for Speak City Heights’ weekly email.
Dagny Salas is the web editor at Voice of San Diego. You can contact her directly at email@example.com or 619.550.5669.
Like VOSD on Facebook.
Value investigative reporting? Support it. Donate Now.
Show 0 comments