Photo by Sam Hodgson
Park Ranger Kim Duclo presents during Meeting of the Minds at the Natural History Museum in Balboa Park.
Ranger Kim Duclo really, really loves Balboa Park. He’s a sponge for its stories and quirks.
At our Meeting of the Minds event last week, Duclo selected some notable park features and connected them to their counterparts elsewhere in the state, including a fountain at the University of Southern California and a carousel at Griffith Park in Los Angeles.
Watch Ranger Kim’s presentation:
We’re posting videos of all of the presentations, filmed by our partners at the Media Arts Center San Diego:
• Maren Dougherty introduces us to 20 little-known people in the park.
• Jose Ysea sheds light on the now-defunct landfill in one of the park’s canyons.
• Marlene Williams takes us through her big backyard: Balboa Park.
• Ruth Hayward relives the process of creating bronze sculptures of several of the park’s earliest cheerleaders.
• Marcos Espinosa, who works in technology in Tijuana, moonlights as a percussionist. He comes to the park on Saturday mornings for his orchestra rehearsal.
I’m Kelly Bennett, reporter for Voice of San Diego. You can reach me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 619.325.0531.
And follow Behind the Scene on Facebook.
Disclosure: Voice of San Diego members and supporters may be mentioned or have a stake in the stories we cover. For a complete list of our contributors, click here.
Value investigative reporting? Support it. Donate Now.