The Morning Report
Get the news and information you need to take on the day.
Our reporting relies on your support. Contribute today!
Help us reach our goal of $250,000. The countdown is on!
Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani returned from updating National Football League officials in New York on the team’s stadium progress to find a message from Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman. Today, Fabiani returned that call.
“(Goodman) indicated that he had been patient since his last call on April 24,” said Fabiani. “Now that it was after Jan. 1, he wanted to talk about Las Vegas’ interest in the Chargers.”
When Goodman first called last year, an exclusivity agreement in the team’s contract with San Diego forbade it from negotiating with anyone but San Diego. That clause expired on Monday, opening up the door to outside suitors.
Fabiani said he reiterated a statement he’d made publicly last month: that the team was pleased with its local progress and — for the time being — would politely decline outside offers.
Goodman didn’t talk about specifics such as what the city could offer the Chargers, Fabiani said. I asked Fabiani if he wasn’t curious at least to know if Las Vegas would be willing to put like, say, hundreds of millions of dollars toward a new stadium?
“At this point, it’s not relevant to us because our focus remains solely in the county of San Diego,” Fabiani said. “It didn’t come up and I didn’t ask.”
Goodman, a Chargers season ticket holder, said he would continue to follow what the team was doing here, according to Fabiani.
The team’s special counsel also added this about the local searches in National City, Chula Vista and Oceanside:
“In the end, we’re going to be lucky to find a site that works with private financing.”