Our reporting relies on your support. Contribute today! 

Help us reach our goal of $250,000. The countdown is on!

San Diego Unified School District’s chief administrative officer, José Betancourt, has officially left the district, school board member John de Beck told me this morning.

As part of his separation agreement, Betancourt received six months of pay and a confidentiality agreement that keeps the district from discussing the details of his departure, de Beck said. The former Navy admiral has faced mounting pressure to leave after he pleaded guilty to violating federal conflict-of-interest laws last month for his work on a defense contract.

Though Betancourt’s contract provides that he can be dismissed with no cause with three month’s notice, de Beck said the district gave him extra money to avoid a potential lawsuit. De Beck said the confidentiality agreement kept him from discussing the details of the deal.

Two spokespeople for the district said they have not gotten word of the deal yet.

I talked to de Beck today while we were at the taping of CW 5’s “Take 5” show. The segment, which looks at education in San Diego, will air this Sunday at 10:30 p.m.

VLADIMIR KOGAN

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.