Reader Help? wrote:
Any recommendations for tent camping in the summertime, that’s kid friendly and plenty of different things to do?
Glad to hear you’re getting the kids out there enjoying and appreciating nature. We have plenty of options for tent camping. Right now camping on the coast is tops (and there are plenty of other options further east in the mountains and later in our desert). State parks has several; I suggest you get advance reservations as these get reserved early. Info at www.parks.ca/gov, 800-444-7275
- San Elijo State Beach in Cardiff
- South Carlsbad State Beach
- San Onofre State Beach Bluffs and San Mateo Campground.
For some good slightly-inland sites, try these, all with plenty of kids-fun activities, and often campfire programs:
- San Diego City Mission Trails Park, Kumeyaay CG next to lake and historic dam. http://mtrp.org/ or 619-668-3275.
- Santee Lakes Regional Park & CG. Many sites along several small lakes. http://www.santeelakes.com/ or 619-448-2482.
- Escondido. Dixon Lake Recreational Area. Walk over to Daley Ranch Park. 760-741-4680.
- SD County parks has several dandies.
Here are some reasonably close in.
- Bonita. Sweetwater Regional County Park. Overlooking Sweetwater Lake
- Lakeside. Lake Jennings County Park. Overlooking the lake.
- Vista. Guajome County Park. Fish, hike, visit San Luis Rey Mission, Guajome Rancho Adobe and Farm Equipment Museum.
Anybody else want to recommend campgrounds suitable for tents and kids fun?
— TOM LEECH