The Morning Report
Get the news and information you need to take on the day.
Our reporting relies on your support. Contribute today!
Help us reach our goal of $250,000. The countdown is on!
A few months ago, I posted a Top 10 list from American Police Beat, a law enforcement magazine that also has a great http://www.apbweb.com/“target=”_blank”>website. The list was a top 10 signs that there’s a recruitment crisis in policing.
Well, the magazine just updated its list, so let’s take a look:
1. Rusty the K-9 just made sergeant.
2. You lowered the fitness standard to “getting in and out of car without being winded.”
3. Half the incoming class has spent time in the joint.
4. The whole force consists of you and three mannequins.
5. Your agency is looking into cloning.
6. Sheriff Shaq.
7. The recruitment guy is handing out drink tickets.
8. 200 vacancies for 350 sworn positions.
9. The cast of “Armed and Famous” are getting job offers at the FBI.
10. Among the top positions at DHS, 24 percent are vacant.
What’s interesting about this, I think, is it’s a humorous look at law enforcement recruitment that actually raises some interesting points. A few of the sources I have talked to have been concerned about local agencies’ fitness standards. Other have been concerned about adequate screening of new recruits.
No-one’s come to me complaining about having to work with mannequins, however.