Want the news summarized?
Subscribe to The Morning Report.
The Chargers released a statement from San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders that said this week’s game against the Houston Texans will be played at 1:05 p.m. Sunday as originally scheduled.
The statement said the NFL informed the Chargers the game would be played Sunday instead of Monday night as had been speculated. The full statement from Sanders:
Qualcomm Stadium will be ready for NFL football by this weekend. The City will be able to provide sufficient public safety personnel to manage a professional football game without impeding ongoing wildfire recovery efforts. I informed the Chargers late Thursday that should they decide to play their game at Qualcomm this weekend, the Stadium will be ready.
“Early Friday morning the Chargers informed me that the NFL has decided to play Sunday’s game as scheduled at Qualcomm Stadium. The Chargers and the Houston Texans will kick off at Qualcomm on Suinday, Oct. 28, at 1:05 p.m.
Here’s a link to a transcript of a discussion with Chargers President Dean Spanos about the decision.
The game’s status was in doubt as the result of the wildfires that swept through San Diego County staring last Sunday. Qualcomm Stadium was used as an evacuation center, but Mayor Sanders announced on Thursday Qualcomm would be shut down as an evacuation center on Friday afternoon.
The BYU-San Diego State football scheduled for Saturday night at Qualcomm has been postponed until Dec. 1 at Qualcomm.
— TOM SHANAHAN