For those loyal voice readers who watched through the slideshow yesterday of the Chargers vs. Broncos game, you may have noticed a peculiar image at the end:

As I left the stadium Monday, I saw this fire from across the parking lot. Upon arriving, a rowdy group of a few hundred fans were standing around the vehicle, snapping pictures and shouting loudly as firefighters doused the undercarriage.

Today, I called Lee Swanson at the San Diego Fire Department to see if there was any indication of what sparked the blaze.

Swanson said there was no indication of any foul play in the incident. He said firefighters described the cause as a “failure of equipment.”

“At any rate, there’s been no investigation of it,” he said.

In the past, cars have caught fire in the parking lot when fans left hot coals from their tailgate barbeques underneath their gas tanks. The crew that responded to the blaze came from a temporary station located on the outskirts of the Qualcomm Stadium parking lot. After battling post-game traffic, firefighters arrived on the scene in about five minutes.


Leave a comment

We expect all commenters to be constructive and civil. We reserve the right to delete comments without explanation. You are welcome to flag comments to us. You are welcome to submit an opinion piece for our editors to review.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.