For a long time people have complained about lease revenue generated by Mission Bay Park being diverted elsewhere while improvements to the park fall by the wayside. San Diego City Councilwoman Donna Frye and Councilman Kevin Faulconer have put forth a ballot measure that would curtail the flow of money out of the park.

This is one of several propositions City Council will consider next week for the November ballot.

The proposition would require that 75 percent of all annual lease revenues from the park beyond $20 million pay for capital projects and deferred maintenance within the park beginning fiscal year 2010. The other 25 percent would be allocated to other city parks.

Currently, 50 percent of this revenue is split between the Mission Bay Park and the regional park improvement fund. The other half is deposited into the general fund.

Frye said the measure, which Mayor Jerry Sanders supports, would allow the city to embark on long-promised capital improvements like wetlands restoration and new bike paths.

“The cost to do some of these projects will continue to escalate,” Frye said. “At some point in time we have to make the commitment, and there is no time better than the present.”

As things stand now, the city’s general fund would take a $5.4 million hit if voters passed the measure, according to Independent Budget Analyst Andrea Tevlin.


Leave a comment

We expect all commenters to be constructive and civil. We reserve the right to delete comments without explanation. You are welcome to flag comments to us. You are welcome to submit an opinion piece for our editors to review.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.