The Morning Report
Get the news and information you need to take on the day.
State officials rejected a proposal Thursday by San Diego Gas & Electric to implement the controversial shut-off plan during this fall’s dry season.
The Public Utilities Commission said the utility did not prove that its plan would prevent more fires from happening and that future plans should include more collaboration with the communities involved.
The media coverage has been vast: The Los Angeles Times, Union-Tribune, North County Times, and CBS 8 all weighed in (and there are many more out there).
While the vote is a victory for opponents of the plan — which included schools, water districts and some backcountry civic leaders — the utility may appeal the decision. The utility’s COO told the North County Times an appeal could be in the works last week.
Thursday the utility e-mailed a statement on the vote and heralded the affirmation of its right to turn off the power during emergency situations. Any decision to turn off the power for safety concerns could be later appealed to the state’s Public Utilities Commission. A spokeswoman for the utility did not return messages seeking additional comment.
Moving forward, it seems unlikely that SDG&E will have its shut-off plan this fall but the current plan or a modified version could become a news item once again.