The Morning Report
Get the news and information you need to take on the day.
Success! You're on the list.
Whoops! There was an error and we couldn't process your subscription. Please reload the page and try again.
Good morning from Point Loma.
- We’ll lead off with news from this morning. The city of San Diego has imposed a strict hiring freeze for nearly every city position. City Chief Operating Officer Jay Goldstone cited Friday’s decision by the city’s independent retirement board as a primary cause.
- Last week, Goldstone asked city council members to come up with sites for a temporary homeless shelter in their district. No one did, though some responded with other ideas.
- We continue to report on other issues related to last week’s decision by the retirement board. Our own Scott Lewis says no one should be surprised that the city has reached this point.
- We’re asking for your help on projects that are being delayed because of the city’s budget woes and also if you’ve noticed any hydrogen sulfide gasses downtown. Smells like rotten eggs.
- Interested in updated San Diego demographics? The Census bureau released data yesterday.
- In news from other cities around San Diego County, Carlsbad is proposing an ordinance that would punish adults who serve alcohol at teenage parties. Vista’s City Council is considering banning smoking in city parks.
Sorry for the delay posting this today. Had an early meeting then something else came up.