Since San Diego began enforcing water-use restrictions June 1, here’s what has happened with enforcement:
- 3,100: Complaints the city has received about water waste.
- 39: Repeat offenders referred to water cops (city code enforcement) for investigation. That means they’ve gotten three complaints.
- 5: Repeat scofflaws who’ve gotten warnings telling them that fines were imminent.
- 4: Former scofflaws who fixed their problems after getting those warnings.
- 1: Scofflaws who haven’t. It’s a homeowner’s association with a noncompliant fountain. Alex Roth, spokesman for Mayor Jerry Sanders, said the city is “monitoring the situation.”
- 0: Fines the city has issued since regulations went into effect.
The city earlier said that it had issued three fines, but it hasn’t, Roth said.