Proposed Financial Reforms
1. Eliminate city payments to employee portion of pension contributions for non-unionized employees, known as the “pickup,” and reduce payments for union employees.
2. Finish negotiations on the broad outsourcing measure known as managed competition and initiate competitions for a variety of services.
3. Complete a study determining if the Deferred Retirement Option Plan costs the city money and if it does eliminate the costs.
4. Request bids to outsource the city’s Miramar landfill.
5. Eliminate “terminal leave” or the practice of allowing city employees to stay on the payroll rather than being paid a lump sum of accrued vacation prior to their departure.
6. Reduce retiree health care costs.
7. Bid out the city’s information technology services.
8. Establish a pension plan with reduced benefits for new firefighters.
9. Establish a voluntary 401(k) style pension plan for all city employees subject to IRS approval.