The Morning Report
Get the news and information you need to take on the day.
We asked readers “If the state put you in charge of San Diego Unified School District, how would you fix things?”
By Damon Westwood
My concerns with my local schools have to do with busing. Many residents of Pacific Beach elect to choice their children to other schools or pay for private schools due to the student body at PB Middle and Mission Bay High.
Eighty percent of the students are bused in from other parts of the city. I would like to see the busing minimized, and downsize the schools. Once the local families start attending these schools, the district can hire more teachers and administrators as needed.
Damon Westwood lives in Pacific Beach.
By Steven Greenwald
• Use online technology to teach high school students courses like history, English, chemistry, and physics. Physical education classes at home online including yoga. Also music appreciation classes online and orchestra practice online.
• Decrease cost of utilities in school buildings. No grass. Gutter retrieval for rain water.
• Free lunches from nursery to twelfth grade to increase enrollment and attendance. Food for scholars program and foundation with corporate and high-income sponsors (Bill Gates Foundation).
• Substance abuse and bullying prevention programs online.
• High school summer employment programs.
• Public and private sponsors all over the city.
• Connect with scholars programs.
Steven Greenwald lives in Del Cerro.
Want to contribute to discussion? Submit a suggestion to Fix San Diego.