The Morning Report
Get the news and information you need to take on the day.
The San Diego Council on Literacy unites the community to support literacy through leadership, advocacy, and resources.
It is the voice for greater literacy in the San Diego region, increasing our community’s understanding about literacy and its positive effects on society.
Through advocacy, the San Diego Council on Literacy helps to create a thriving San Diego region in which all residents have the ability to be productive members of society and contribute to a high quality of life.
By creating partnerships with literacy service providers, businesses, foundations, municipalities, elected officials, the media, and others, the Council engages the greater community in literacy solutions.
Through various activities, the Council heightens literacy awareness and generates resources that support the services provided by the Council’s 26 affiliated programs.These programs operate from libraries, adult basic education centers, community colleges, school districts, homeless centers, churches, refugee
programs, low-income housing complexes,and juvenile detention facilities.
Last year, more than 170,000 individuals of all ages received no-cost services from the service programs affiliated with the San Diego Council on Literacy.
Roles of the San Diego Council on Literacy:
– Raise awareness about literacy in our region and its effect on quality of life
– Generate and increase resources that support literacy services in our region
– Expand access to services, volunteer opportunities, and information
– Support coordination of the local literacy effort and pool the resources of local programs
– Research, share, and provide resources to support best practices
– Ensure accountability by supporting collection of learner progress data
– Engage the leadership and advocate for greater support of literacy services
For services, to volunteer, or to donate, call 1-888-850-7323 or visit www.literacysandiego.org