The Morning Report
Get the news and information you need to take on the day.
Michael Zucchet, the former San Diego City Councilman convicted and then acquitted (mostly) of corruption charges, said he found out from a reporter that the government was going to continue its push to get him behind bars.
The Union-Tribune’s Kelly Thornton called him Sunday and broke the story the next day that the U.S. Department of Justice had decided to appeal a judge’s surprising decision a year ago that Zucchet was innocent of the majority of corruption charges of which a jury had already convicted him. The Justice Department hadn’t indicated what it planned to do for quite a long time.
Zucchet, like most defendants in criminal cases, didn’t want to say too much about his thoughts on the matter. But he did say he saw a “silver lining” in the news that he would have to keep fighting the charges.
The government’s appeal of Judge Jeffrey Miller’s acquittal will set a precedent. Zucchet said, with confidence, that the precedent would not be the one the government wanted.
“When the Ninth Circuit [Court of Appeals] supports Judge Miller’s ruling, my case will become published case law that will be used to guide future white-collar prosecutions that are similarly void of actual crimes,” Zucchet said.