The San Diego Unified District board met behind closed doors Monday to ponder the fate of José Betancourt, the school system’s chief administrative officer. A decision, board member John de Beck said, was “pending.”

Earlier this month, Betancourt pleaded guilty to violating a federal conflict-of-interest law for his work with a defense contractor while employed by the district. Superintendent Carl Cohn had said he would wait for the board to decide whether Betancourt could continue his work for the district.

“The board has some point of view, but they’re exploring their options,” de Beck said.

Another board member, Mitz Lee, said she would issue a statement on the matter in the near future.

“We will press forward, and I think that’s really what this district will need,” Lee said.

VLADIMIR KOGAN

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.