Voice of San Diego, the news organization recognized across the country for its investigative journalism and innovation, is hiring a managing editor.
This vital position will be the daily coordinator of our core mission: to deliver impactful journalism and educate residents about their community so that they can make decisions that support good government and social progress.
The managing editor will be asked to oversee a staff of journalists focused on accountability and investigative reporting on San Diego’s core quality of life issues, both through traditional and atypical reporting and storytelling means.
Voice of San Diego is best known for its website. But we use social media, live events, classroom settings, games and broadcast partners to help residents understand their community. The editor must be comfortable with, and conscious of, all the possibilities these tools offer. He or she must also understand the power of blogging and how peers and readers can help reporters develop narratives.
At Voice we have a unique way of doing things. We don’t write something about everything but everything about something. We look for someone to continue to build upon and evolve that tradition. As Len Downie, the former editor of the Washington Post, recently said about Voice and its nonprofit brethren, “their zeal for their mission reminds me of the Washington Post reporters and editors who chased after Watergate four decades ago.”
Do you share that same passion?
The desired applicant will have:
– Outstanding writing and editing skills.
– Outstanding organization and management skills.
– Desire to stay on the cutting edge of journalism innovation.
– Experience in fast-paced, productive newsrooms fully adapted to social media and digital-first news.
– Commitment to the highest standards.
– Dedication to public-service accountability and investigative reporting.
– Demonstrated willingness to spark change, regardless of the controversy it incites or feathers it ruffles. Must handle that controversy strongly, thoughtfully and effectively.
– A record of creativity.
Experience is less important than ambition, skills and innovation. Please send your cover letter and resume, along with examples of your work, or your website’s URL, to CEO Scott Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.