The Morning Report
Get the news and information you need to take on the day.
The pedestrian bridge being constructed above Harbor Drive will not be completed this month as originally scheduled, and the months of additional work could mean a bigger bill than taxpayers previously expected.
As of Friday, officials at the Centre City Development Corp. said they don’t expect the project will cost taxpayers more than its $26 million budget. They said the extra costs could be paid by the project’s general contractor if a final assessment of the work determines the company was responsible for the delays.
“At this point in time, we’re not actively seeking liquidation damages. That’s something we’re hoping to get to,” CCDC spokesman Derek Danziger said.
A message left on the voicemail of the general contractor handling the project, Reyes Construction, Inc., was not immediately returned.
Danziger and David Allsbrook, CCDC’s vice president of public works, said the bridge had been designed to support less weight than it was supposed to. They each declined to directly comment on who was at fault for the miscalculation, and they declined to speculate on how large the project’s total bill would be with the new modifications and timeline. They said those facts would be sorted out after the project’s completion.
The problem was discovered in August and stakeholders were notified of the problem, Allsbrook said. The project’s website still says the bridge will be completed this winter. A live webcam shows the project’s actual progress.
Allsbrook said the small suspension bridge can be fixed with stronger cables that should not affect the approved design. None of the previous construction will need to be undone.
But CCDC doesn’t expect the bridge will be completed until late next summer.
— KEEGAN KYLE