My eardrums were recently blasted with the sound of the St. Stephen’s church choir singing as the voice of heaven. Thankfully, our friends from NBC 7 San Diego were in the basement rehearsal room with me, and we put together this peek for you. The Old Globe’s “Odyssey” production happens for three nights this weekend:
View more videos at: http://nbcsandiego.com.
We’ve been following this play as it gets closer, intrigued especially by this intersection between the institution that the Globe is, and the community groups it involved in this process. Need to catch up on our “Odyssey” coverage?
• The first official get-together was a potluck dinner.
• The blackout pushed one rehearsal outdoors.
• Director Lear deBessonet told the group to imagine the individual personality they’re playing, all of whom combined make up the town.
• The cast of 181 comprises newbies and lifers, including the woman for whose husband the Globe’s outdoor stage is named.
• Being at the rehearsal where the St. Stephen’s church choir joined the ensemble for the first time made me wonder about all of the other magic that gets created in Balboa Park’s basements.
I’m Kelly Bennett, the arts editor for VOSD. You can reach me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 619.325.0531.
And follow Behind the Scene on Facebook.