How to see some of the San Diego arts scene for free this weekend:
• Tonight, at Little Italy’s Bottlecraft beer shop and tasting room, husband-and-wife team Jeff Hammett and Kinsee Morlan present their respective, and mutual, affinities in a forum called “Art + Beer.” Hammett runs the San Diego Beer Blog, and Morlan is arts editor for San Diego CityBeat. They’ve featured local artist Katie Scott, who’ll be there tonight to talk about her work. I peeked at the pieces hanging in Bottlecraft earlier this week and pined for drawing ability a fraction as stellar as Scott’s. Admission to the night is free; you just pay to taste the beers Hammett has selected.
• On Saturday, a slew of local arts groups invite you down to the Broadway Pier downtown from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. to see performances, eat food and learn about what’s coming up from the region’s dance, visual art, theater, puppet, museum and musical groups.
Here’s a schedule to plan your day. I’m intrigued by the 11:30 a.m. presentation from La Jolla Playhouse on how the theater makes its props; the SDSU-sponsored clowning workshop at 12:30 p.m. and a number of ballet pieces interspersed with African drumming and “tribal fusion belly dance.”
Looks like there are tons of things for kids to try, learn and make, too.
• This Sunday, go check out the new “Phenomenal” show for free at the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego. The show takes over the galleries in both the downtown and the La Jolla campuses, and shuttles between the two are free, too.
• Sezio has the details on a couple of other art shows and experiments, including the pledge of local artist Jenna Morrow to knit for 24 hours straight.
• And I guess this one’s only free if you’re a child. But if you have kids, you might tote ’em to one of these two-dozen-plus local museums offering free admission to kids 12 and under for the month of October.
Plus, round up the tots in your life and get them to the San Diego Zoo and the Zoo Safari Park. It’s free for them to go in throughout October.
I’m Kelly Bennett, the arts editor for VOSD. You can reach me directly at email@example.com or 619.325.0531.
And follow Behind the Scene on Facebook.