The Morning Report
San Diego news and info
you need to take on the day.
News of The San Diego Union-Tribune’s sale to prominent hotelier Doug Manchester has sparked another community conversation on the future of the local newspaper. After a brief ownership by a private equity firm, the paper is returning to local hands — some of the most provocative and controversial in San Diego.
Catch up with all of our coverage:
• An initial look at Manchester’s polarizing persona. A man who is accustomed to being a newsmaker will now be a newspaper owner.
• New CEO John Lynch gives some early details on his vision for the paper: pro-Chargers stadium and pro-business.
• A fuller transcript of our chat with Lynch: “We’d like to be a cheerleader for all that’s good about San Diego.”
• A guide to the paper’s tumultuous recent history of ownership and leadership changes and employee cuts.
• A guide to the buzz on the web about the news of the sale and the future of the paper.
• A roundup of folks’ initial reactions to the sale.
Dagny Salas is the web editor at voiceofsandiego.org. You can contact her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 619.550.5669.
Like VOSD on Facebook.