Want the news summarized?
Subscribe to The Morning Report.
My ideas/fixes are below:
1. Change the height limit on downtown building not close to the airport and allow an iconic building to be built and lure more business downtown.
2. Stop building more freeways and build more trolley lines EVERYWHERE and fast. A train from Petco Park up Park Boulevard then El Cajon would make it like Market Street in San Francisco with density on that line resulting in less sprawl. I DON’T WANT TO DRIVE if I have to.
3. Make the waterfront iconic, FAST, and make it memorable with great architecture (examples are Walt Disney Concert Hall in L.A., Sydney Opera House) and not this suburban yuk! Look at Oslo, Boston and other cities that reclaimed their waterfronts as an example.
4. Make Balboa Park even better, shine our gem! Build underground or valley parking garages that are hidden and return the parking lots to green space or more venues. Example: Golden Gate Park in San Francisco.
5. More bike paths and YES public transit and bike paths should take up parking spots; that is the POINT!
6. Redevelop Mission Valley. The freeway exits are a disaster and the river is underutilized and not connected to the ocean, such a waste of land. I imagine a running and bike path from Lake Murray to Ocean Beach.
Managed density and public transit are themes!
Thanks for listening.
Jeffery Olson lives in North Park.
Want to contribute to discussion? Submit a suggestion to Fix San Diego.