Help City Heights get seen from above: Join Speak City Heights web editor Megan Burks and VOSD CEO Scott Lewis on Saturday at 5 p.m. at Teralta Park as they launch a balloon mapping project to take aerial photos of the community. Here’s a video of their effort last September.
You’re reading our roundup of news from Speak City Heights, a collaboration between KPBS, The AjA Project, Media Arts Center San Diego and us.
Here are the rest of this week’s stories:
• We’re interviewing the candidates running for outgoing San Diego Unified School District trustee Shelia Jackson’s seat. In the first Q&A, meet Bill Ponder, a former university vice president who grew up in southeastern San Diego.
• We also Fact Checked a claim by County Supervisor Ron Roberts about the growth of the food stamps program. Roberts got a “False.”
Check out our 2010 special report on county social services for more on food stamps.
Learn more about the candidates running for mayor through our special page on the race.
• KPBS hosted a discussion on Midday Edition about what can be done to get black women to exercise more.
• One person was diagnosed with tuberculosis at the Mid-City Continuing Education Campus, reports Speak City Heights. Folks who were on the campus between Sept. 2 and Jan. 26 might’ve have been exposed.
• In this week’s roundup of news from Twitter relevant to City Heights: Changes in President Obama’s proposed budget for agencies dealing with refugee help and immigration, local Catholic Latinas’ reactions to Obama’s birth control mandate and the Saturday launch of City Councilwoman Marti Emerald’s District 9 campaign.
Dagny Salas is the web editor at voiceofsandiego.org. You can contact her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 619.550.5669.
Like VOSD on Facebook.