The Morning Report
San Diego news and info
you need to take on the day.
This was submitted as an idea to the Politifest 2012 Idea Tournament. VOSD members will vote on the best ideas and on Sept. 19 we’ll announce six contenders (Not a member? Join now to vote). At Politifest on Sept. 29, each of the six finalists will have five minutes to pitch their idea to a panel. The panel rates the ideas and two finalists advance. The crowd at Politifest will vote on a winner. The winner will receive an “idea-inspired” trophy custom-designed by former City Councilwoman Donna Frye. VOSD CEO Scott Lewis will also write about the winner’s idea.
Families are struggling; many cannot afford bus passes to get kids to school or activities. If the city would provide free bus passes for every student attending school with fewer than three unexcused absences, this would:
1. maximize the local education budget;
2. increase the ability of all students to get to activities, events and schools, as well as increase their walking and overall activity level;
3. allow city to focus wide range of activities in fewer locales;
4. reduce the number of kids who are virtually imprisoned in their homes because they can’t reach activities
5. make the city a real partner with libraries, schools, and others who keep kids healthy in mind and body.
Joni Halpern submitted this idea to the Politifest 2012 Idea Tournament. Join us on Sept. 29!