These were the most-read stories for the week of Sept. 17-24.
1. Eight Favorite Places in Balboa Park
A park as big as Balboa Park contains lots of favorite places, and lots of work to be done. We surveyed some people involved in the park to find out their top picks. What are yours?
2. San Diego’s Budget Woes Are Back
Just a few months ago, San Diego’s broken budget was declared to be fixed. Now it’s busted again. We explain why.
3. DeMaio’s Mystery Chargers Task Force
The mayoral candidate says he has experts helping him develop a stadium financing plan without public money. He just won’t say who they are.
4. What’s Really Exotic About Poway’s Bonds: Millions in Extra Cash
Despite a warning from the state attorney general that its tactics were illegal, the Poway Unified School District pioneered a way to pull millions of dollars in upfront cash out of its bond deals. The gambit will ultimately cost taxpayers $219 million.
5. Morning Report: DeMaio’s Unprovable Claims
How museums are surviving tough times, the U-T cancellation parade, elephant trouble, safe water and zombies run amok.
6. Four Key Takeaways on Manchester’s New Paper
What readers should know about and expect from the new owners of the North County Times.
7. DeMaio’s Unverifiable Bipartisan Campaign Claims
Some of the most common claims Carl DeMaio cites to back up his populist campaign image can’t be verified. We explain why.
8. Morning Report: Balboa Park’s Best Spots
Changing tunes in District 1 race, Chargers and L.A., DeMaio’s marijuana mystery, SD’s gay dilemma and El Cajon Blvd’s bad rap.
9. DeMaio Says He’s Working on Medical Marijuana Deal
It’s a shift for a candidate who’s been reluctant to sign off on anything that wasn’t a total ban of dispensaries in the city.
10. Boosting the Veterans’ Health Care Budget: Fact Check
“We raised the budget of the Veterans Administration when I was chairman over 65 percent for health care of our nation’s veterans. I got a unanimous Congress to do that,” Congressman and mayoral candidate Bob Filner recently said. We examine whether both claims are correct.
Dagny Salas is the web editor at Voice of San Diego. You can contact her directly at email@example.com or 619.550.5669.
Like VOSD on Facebook.