Tom Telesco is the new general manager of the San Diego Chargers and, after making his first draft pick, he might finally be getting a good idea on the type of fans he’s dealing with. His selection of offensive tackle D.J. Fluker was loudly criticized across blogs, social media sites and by the national media.
Luckily for Telesco, he’ll have two more days and at least six more draft picks to prove to the fans of the Bolts that he knows how to build a championship team through the draft.
You’re reading the Sports Report, our weekly compilation of news and information for the San Diego sports fan.
San Diego Chargers:
• Beau Lynott is paying extra attention to this draft class because it could be an indicator of how Telesco and new Head Coach Mike McCoy will shape the San Diego Chargers in the coming years.
• Deadspin took aim at the troubling legal history of San Diego Chargers’ team doctor David Chao. While Chargers fans are familiar with much of the story and the team doesn’t appear ready to make a change, the revelations about Chao’s false testimony and his possible involvement in Junior Seau’s suicide were shocking enough to make this a must-read post.
San Diego Padres:
• The Padres are once again one of the worst teams in baseball this season and their fans want to know whom they should blame for the ongoing failures of the franchise.
• Robbie Erlin, who was part of the package the Padres got when they traded reliever Mike Adams to the Texas Rangers, is getting his first call-up to the majors. He’s expected to work as a long reliever.
• Bob Scanlan, who has been doing nightly postgame recaps of Padres games for Gaslamp Ball, broke down Edinson Volquez’s efficient start in Wednesday’s win ove rthe Milwaukee Brewers.
Stories You May Have Missed:
• In an example of technology helping fans to understand just how freakishly gifted professional athletes are, Redditor “DShep” created this animated image of Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish throwing five different pitches at once. Once you notice that there is no difference in his body or arm movement until the ball leaves his hand, you understand why baseball is so difficult.
• The Los Angeles Clippers, formerly known as the San Diego Clippers, hold a 2-1 lead over the Memphis Grizzlies in the first round of the NBA playoffs after losing on Thursday night. Neither team has yet to lose a home game.
• The Los Angeles Lakers, already without star guard Kobe Bryant, are down 0-2 to the Spurs in the first round of the NBA playoffs and are expected to be without three more Gguards when they play the Spurs on Friday night.
(Want to recommend this sports newsletter to someone? Share this sign-up link.)