One of Cindy Marten’s biggest goals for San Diego Unified – and her biggest legacy at Central Elementary – is bolstering students who are struggling.
The term “achievement gap” is one of those jargon-y education terms that gets tossed around a lot, but at its heart, it means “those who are making it and those who are not,” one expert told us.
Mario Koran looks at the big factors at play when we talk about the achievement gap. We’ll be exploring the disparities within San Diego Unified more within the coming months.
The Real Gridlock Over One Paseo
The basic argument at the heart of opposition to the One Paseo project in Carmel Valley comes down to traffic. It’ll add too much, residents there say.
But there are a lot of complicated factors that play into the traffic calculus, Andy Keatts explains. And city traffic engineers say One Paseo opponents might be focusing on the wrong numbers.
Sanders Then vs. Sanders Now
Jerry Sanders has been talking a lot lately about how Kevin Faulconer will lift up the city’s neighborhoods if he’s elected mayor.
That’s quite a departure from when he criticized Bob Filner’s neighborhoods-centric message. Then, he told Liam Dillon of the neighborhoods focus: “I don’t think it means anything.”
What We Learned This Week
• The next mayor will be one of two City Councilmen: Kevin Faulconer or David Alvarez.
• The teachers union is not a big fan of parent group UPforEd.
• Planning Director Bill Fulton thinks he’s found a workaround for lengthy community plan updates.
Quick News Hits
• Irene McCormack and her lawyer, Gloria Allred, have put a price tag on the emotional and personal injuries she suffered under Bob Filner: $1.48 million. That’s the amount Jackson is seeking in damages in her harassment suit. The former Filner spokeswoman was the first woman to come forward with harassment accusations against the ex-mayor. (San Diego Reader)
• The fight over the Barrio Logan community plan will move to a courtroom Tuesday. The hearing “will focus on a temporary restraining order sought by the Environmental Health Coalition against the petitions submitted by the Protect Our Jobs Committee, launched by shipyard repair companies,” reports the U-T.
• Tony Manolatos is out as Kevin Faulconer’s spokesman, Matt Awbrey is in, according to the U-T.
Quote of the Week
“Before I voted today, I just prayed, ‘Good Lord, don’t let me put another Filner in office.’” – Barrio Logan resident Ruth Walker on Election Day. Walker said she voted for David Alvarez this time around.