Our reporting relies on your support. Contribute today! 

Help us reach our goal of $250,000. The countdown is on!

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 | Several people have asked Voice of San Diego what happens if Mayor Dick Murphy were to resign.

We asked the San Diego City Clerk’s Office and found out the following.

If the mayor resigns, the city council has two options:

Fill the position by appointment within 30 business days. The appointee would serve out the balance of the unexpired term.

Call a special election to be held within 90 calendar days of when the council adopts a measure calling for the election. The time period can be extended to 180 calendar days of the vacancy if a regular municipal, statewide or countywide election is scheduled, and the election for mayor can be consolidated with it.

If the City Council fails to act within 30 business days, the special election process is the only option.

– Voice staff

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.