The Morning Report
Get the news and information you need to take on the day.
Two 8-year-old San Diego children – a boy and a girl – have contracted E. coli bacterial infections after drinking raw milk.
In a news release, the San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency said an 8-year-old girl became ill after consuming raw milk produced by Organic Pastures, a Fresno County dairy company.
The county has asked local stores to pull the company’s products off their shelves, and urged any county residents to report stores that haven’t yanked the company’s whole milk, skim milk, cream or colostrum. If you spot the stuff, call the county at 619/338-2379.
E. coli is a common bacteria, though this particular strain – 0157:H7 – can cause abdominal cramps and bloody diarrhea. Serious illness, including kidney failure, can also occur in a small percentage of cases. Young children, the elderly and those with compromised immune systems are most at risk.
A majority of infections come from eating under-cooked beef. Bacteria lingering on a cow’s udders or on dairy equipment can transfer it to raw milk, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.