We have two big goals here at Voice of San Diego: to investigate, and to educate.
That first part can require an enormous amount of time and effort from our reporters.
The second part often involves taking the news and breaking it down, offering perspective — essentially making sense of it all. It can take less time than a big investigation, but it requires a good deal of expertise and the patience to closely examine a story or issue.
That’s where our new blog, Active Voice, comes in. We’ve enlisted a handful of smart contributors to help us make sense of all the news chaos swirling around us. They all have day jobs — in fact, that’s what makes them experts on what they’ll be writing about.
Their purpose is to supplement our news coverage by offering thoughtful perspective on the news and culture happening throughout San Diego.
Here’s a bit more about our new contributors.
• Libby Weber holds a degree in theater from Northwestern University but supports biological research for her daily bread. In addition to being a classical singer, social media coordinator for San Diego Master Chorale and a lapsed trombone player, she writes fiction and enjoys various forms of tomfoolery.
• Beau Lynott works full time as a consultant to the hospitality industry, and part time as a statistician for CBS Sports and other television networks. He writes about sports and politics on Twitter as @lemonverbena_ and about music as @fakecasbah. He blogs for Active Voice on the Chargers, Padres, Aztecs, stadium issues and local sports culture in general.
• Oscar Ramos teaches history and politics and is chair of the Social Studies Department at The Preuss School, UC San Diego. A native of Oceanside, Oscar has taught high school in San Diego since 2007. He blogs for Active Voice on the various conversations about local education.
• Clare Leschin-Hoar is a freelance writer who covers seafood, sustainability and food politics. Her work has appeared in Scientific American, The Wall Street Journal, Eating Well, TakePart.com and many more. You can contact her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Find her on Twitter at @c_leschin.
• John Gennaro is managing editor of Bolts from the Blue, a San Diego Chargers blog. He started blogging about the Chargers in 2008 as a way to win bar debates and release vitriol at the team after losses. He blogs for Active Voice about San Diego sports from a fan’s perspective, including analyzing the local media that covers it. His interests include, but are not limited to: craft beer, sports (obviously), local music, video games, the arts, science, creative writing, social media, literature and philosophy.
I hope you’ll check in with our new additions often, and make the blog part of your news diet.
Sara Libby is VOSD’s managing editor. She oversees VOSD’s newsroom and its content. You can reach her at email@example.com or 619.325.0526.
Like VOSD on Facebook.