It’s time for Public Comment, our weekly take on the San Diego City Council agenda. We link to all the agendas, briefly highlight an issue and invite readers to weigh in with their thoughts.
- City Council Agenda, Dec. 7, 2009
- City Council Supplemental Agenda, Dec. 7, 2009
- Redevelopment Agency Agenda, Dec. 7, 2009
- City Council Agenda, Dec. 8, 2009
- Note: Monday’s supplemental agenda is to settle a lawsuit between the city and San Diego State University over the proposed Paseo development. The agenda for Wednesday’s extra council meeting isn’t posted yet, but the topic will be the city budget. The meeting starts at 9 a.m.
- Issues of Interest: There are plenty of items of interest next week. The council is scheduled to hear the Office of the Independent Budget Analyst’s report on the mayor’s proposed city budget. The medical marijuana task force will be presenting its findings on land-use matters to the council. (Background here.) Both those issues should be covered in detail next week, but I’ll address another that hasn’t received much ink (or pixels).
- On Monday, the council is scheduled to pick next year’s president, who is responsible for running meetings, docketing agenda items, making committee appointments, etc. Former colleague David Washburn compared the position to the Speaker of the House in Congress. Unlike last year when there was no incumbent for the position, there doesn’t appear to be the same level of politicking for the job. Current Council President Ben Hueso is considered the favorite to hold onto his job.
- What else is good to follow at the meetings? Questions? Comments? Derogatory remarks? Email me or tweet me.
— LIAM DILLON