The Morning Report
Get the news and information you need to take on the day.
Good morning from Point Loma.
- We’ll lead off this morning with Mayor Jerry Sanders’ appearance on Fox Business Network. In the five minute interview, the mayor took on Sacramento as he’s wont to do. He also flubbed a discussion of how the city has cut its budget.
- Council President Ben Hueso wants to study cutting back the duties of redevelopment agency, Southeastern Economic Development Corp. including folding the four neighborhoods it controls into the citywide redevelopment system. Councilman Tony Young, taking a stronger stance than he had recently, says the corporation should keep its independence.
- San Diego County will be releasing its own social service report card today. Our series on county social services is linked here.
- Meantime, two anti-poverty groups are slamming the county’s handling of the food stamp program.
- The new chairman of the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce writes in an op-ed that he’ll be fighting for water infrastructure, strong mayor, small business and big buildings.
- Last, state Sen. Christine Kehoe, D-San Diego, has some issues with the latest proposal to expand Del Mar Fairgrounds.
— LIAM DILLON