How will the candidates for the District 9 City Council seat ensure that development in City Heights is able to continue in the wake of the death of redevelopment?
Businessman/activist Mateo Camarillo talked about his goals regarding different funding and lending institutions and how to keep the community involved. Current District 7 Councilwoman Marti Emerald talked about potential partners, and the need to make sure current projects are paid for and completed.
Their answers in the latest “get-to-know-the candidates” post from Speak City Heights are available in both English and Spanish.
For more on redevelopment, check out our coverage of the program.
For more on the District 9 race, including previous questions asked of these candidates, check out Speak City Heights’ archive.
You’re reading our roundup of news from Speak City Heights, a collaboration between KPBS, The AjA Project, Media Arts Center San Diego and us.
Here are the rest of this week’s stories:
• This week, a San Diego group’s video about the brutality of an African warlord drew considerable buzz — and criticism. Speak City Heights rounds up links and reactions from Ugandan and African immigrants to the video.
For more, check out our news roundup excerpted from Friday’s Morning Report.
• Thirty-seven ex-offenders shifted into local custody through the state realignment effort report living in City Heights, reports Speak City Heights.
• Speak City Heights rounds up and previews the films you can see in the San Diego Latino Film Festival hosted by partner Media Arts Center San Diego.
• Organizers of the local Lowrider Gospel Fest want to reach young people who are involved in gangs, reports Speak City Heights. Media Arts Center San Diego has video from a recent meeting where organizers of this year’s City Heights event met; it also features photos from last year’s event.
• Speak City Heights features a City Heights Life piece by a young woman who was born and raised in a Thai refugee camp. Since moving to City Heights, she has graduated from high school, organized a traditional fashion show and wants to become a nurse.
Want more news on City Heights? Sign up for Speak City Heights’ weekly email.
Dagny Salas is the web editor at voiceofsandiego.org. You can contact her directly at email@example.com or 619.550.5669.
Like VOSD on Facebook.